Nachelle Mackie is National Champion at 2012 National Championships

BYU women’s track team came home with an 11th place finish in the 2012 NCAA Division I Indoor Track and Field Championships over the weekend, which gives them a Top Fifteen finish. BYU also finished in the top 10 in every event it competed. Many of came home with All-American honors, while Nachelle Mackie came home as a national champion.

Nachelle Mackie won the women’s 800-meter race with the fastest NCAA 800 time of the season, recording a 2:03:30 time. This time not only was the NCAA best season time, but Mackie also broke the school record for the 800.

Mackie had the third seed, with teammate Katie Palmer with the first seed, going into the 800 finals after the preliminaries Friday. However, Mackie stepped it up in the finals to bring home a national title.

“I took the lead early and although it wasn’t necessarily the position I wanted to be in initially,” Mackie said. “I just kind of realized no one else was going to take is so I needed to take it. Once I was in the lead I told myself that I wasn’t going to let anyone take it from me. It’s so exciting to be able to fulfill a dream.”

Mackie and Palmer received All-American honors for their performances in the 800. They, along with Sarah Edwards and Lacey Bleazard, placed sixth in the distance medley relay.


Real Time Web Analytics